Apparently it is World Baking Day today (spotted this morning on Twitter!). I wasn’t planning to bake anything today but how could I not join in?! As I had no eggs in the house, I decided to whip up some biscuits – but also wanted to do something a bit more exciting than plain old biscuits. The PiggyBakes’ Biscuit Buffet was born!
A delicious selection of Jammie Dodgers, Nutella Dodgers, Marshmallow Dodgers and Peanut Butter Dodgers – which one would you go for?!
PiggyBakes’ Biscuit Buffet (biscuits adapted from Peyton & Byrne’s Jammie Dodgers)
Makes approximately 12 biscuits
35g Flora Light or other light spread (call me crazy on this one but these biscuits were the perfect texture and this is how I will make them from now on! You could of course also use 125g unsalted butter as the original recipe suggests instead of the marg & flora!)
60g Kamut bread flour
125g plain flour
60g caster sugar
A selection of fillings such as jams, spreads, melted chocolate etc. I used Marshmallow Fluff, strawberry jam, Nutella and peanut butter
– Line two baking trays with baking paper and set aside
– Beat the margarine, spread and sugar together in a large bowl until pale and fluffy. Sift in the two flours and beat again until it comes together in a ball of soft dough
– Lightly flour a work surface and roll the dough out until about 5mm thick. Using a 6cm round cookie cutter, cut out as many circles as you can and place them onto the baking tray (you’ll need to gather up the cuttings and roll back out a few times to use up all the dough). Use a smaller cutter (I used 2.5cm) to cut out circles from the centre of half the biscuits – you can then use the cut out centres to make a couple more biscuits. Place the baking trays in the fridge for 20 minutes to firm up.
– Pre-heat the oven to 165°C (based on my fan oven – the original recipe recommends 180°C). Bake the chilled biscuits for approximately 15 – 20 minutes (mine took 18 mins) until they are pale golden and the edges are just turning golden brown. Remove from the oven and leave to cool completely on the baking tray.
– Once cooled, select your fillings and spoon/spread them over a selection of the solid biscuits, sandwiching a cut out biscuit on top. Repeat with each of the fillings.
– Try not to scoff one of each immediately, just to see what they are like!